Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ultramodality

Multimedia, New Media, Hypermedia, Ultramedia. I like "Ultramedia" or "Ultramodal." Lauer's article (linked to Kairos' site, unsure about access) is well done, but Kairos has pretty high standards. Whenever the multimodality discussion bears its head, though, I get wary. Partly, I'm wary of the fact that multimodality gets paired with multimedia, which is just code for "computer things that are more than Word." Like some horrible, lizard monster that seemed OK from afar, but has a tendency to become unnecessarily complicated the closer you get to the pedagogy.

Unfortunately, as Alfie Kohn once observed, teachers can be a bright lot with lots of wonderful, progressive ideas for expanding students' minds, but we have a habit of teaching the way we've been taught. It's true, too. My attempts at getting multimodal primarily involve crayons (to add a stronger visualization to quoting, paraphrasing and "original" thought), Legos (to practice clear diction and explanation) and a rainbow of dry erase markers.

I used to joke with other students here about the word "multimodality," because it implies the existence of "monomodality." But if color and language are both modes, then any text visible on a page is inherently multimodal. Somehow we all knew that multimodality meant there were colors or pictures or sounds or scratch-and-sniff panels, so maybe we just need to hit three or four modes before something crosses into real multimodality. Lauer is right, the naming is a pain to deal with.

So, I want to push for ultramodality, just to say we've met some threshold beyond "2+." Also, Ultramodality sounds like a sweet techno band. Also, continuing to apply new terms to the situation helps to avoid answering the real issue of justification. When I first started teaching, I used as many modes as possible thanks to the complex thesis "Multimodality is good because technology." To give a hint at how well I did it, I'd like to share a question I was asked during my last semester before moving to Pullman:
This is a writing class. Why are we always using the computers?
Sure, the student in question was under the impression that it was a handwriting class (I didn't understand the question until last Fall, when it finally clicked). But, my values weren't being clearly transmitted to the class, and it really wasn't the right setting for ultramodality anyway. In the same class, another student demanded that I stop using Blackboard and switch to Twitter since everyone could do discussion and receive updates on their cell-phones. My modality wasn't ultra enough for that one. Wysocki's "Openings & Justifications" in Writing New Media has some good thoughts (below) to handle that situation, but her claim that "writing classes can easily decontextualize writing such that agency and material structures look independent" (4) could just as easily be paraphrased to say "[pedagogical guides] can easily decontextualize [good pedagogy] such that agency and [student psychologies] look independent." Maybe there's too many brackets there.

Wysocki's sample assignments and lesson plans help contextualize an ultramodal pedagogy. I might just be grumpy here because I'm focused on first-year composition and transitions from high school to college writing. Any time I deviate from the perceived norm of college work (double spaced essays in 12 point, TNR, black ink, etc. that must go to the final line of the page or else you fail FOREVER!), the validity of the assignment is immediately called into question (echoing Wysocki's self citation on page 12), as though I was asking students to learn and practice a skill whose only end was a grade in this single class, and focusing on questioning the value of "traditional" media makes it seem like the class only exists to teach and practice those skills. But, I don't see the Engineering department changing its tune any time soon.



As for issues of ultramodal authoring, Lauer mentions the Herculean effort necessary to get these ideas rolling ("A Technological Journey"). Teaching introductory writing is busy enough without also getting into the intermediate features of Word and Word-clones, let alone the fact that there are Word-clones, let alone the basic features of other authoring programs.

So, maybe the problem is that I'm trying to imagine teaching students how to use a hammer before they understand the need for it. It's easy for me to agree with Lauer that the nomenclature is unwieldy because I get that we're all essentially talking about reflective understandings of what it means to compose a text -- specifically, to understand the rhetorical implications of paper, of a blog, of a video or podcast and to play up the strengths of those choices. It's also easy for me to agree with Wysocki that we have to start at a very basic level of questioning how visuality (and by extension aurality or olfactorality) affects (maybe effects) our understanding and persuadedness.
I knew someone whose business cards all smelled like doughnuts. He got a lot of call-backs.
I feel like there is more to say, but too much of it comes down to "But what do I do on Monday?" Wysocki's plans are great, but at this moment I feel my hands are tied by the need to teach research, academic voice, planning, revision and all those other things that go into the size 12 font, arranged so neatly on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper. Maybe if I could figure out how to teach rhetorical awareness, it would be easier to shoehorn into the syllabus.

Hm. I feel like I should fill more space here. I have other thoughts, but they aren't connected or organized.
-----
Under "A Technological Journey," Lauer mentions that she made a "mini-wiki" for folks to comment on different elements of the text to better develop their meanings. That's something I don't trust about new technology. So many things are awesome about what a journal like Kairos can do (especially since it doesn't have a comments feature) when it incorporates every mode the average computer can manage, but so many things go wrong when I expect my texts to give me a space to broadcast my response to the world. Even now, I'm trying to form a coherent, reasoned response to this reading, but I haven't had enough time to reflect and digest it. All I did was read that Lauer wants an almost conversational interactivity to her article, and I flew off the handle because it seemed like she wasn't ready to stand by her convictions about what visual/verbal/auditory elements really meant.

In the words of a great thinker, Mr. Horse from Ren and Stimpy, "No sir, I don't like it." I blame Mark Bauerlein's discussion of the millennials and Web 2.0 (The Dumbest Generation) for this line of thinking.
-----
So here's a weird note. Maybe it's my browser, maybe something else, but when I was reading, the pages wouldn't always start at the top. The top visible line was always the beginning of a paragraph, but it wasn't always the beginning of the section. I have no deeper commentary here, except to note that this is either a pitfall of technology or the coolest way to tell someone they can skip the exposition in each section (which I had to go back and read anyway).
-----

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post. Lovin' the images.

    So, this: "I used to joke with other students here about the word "multimodality," because it implies the existence of "monomodality." But if color and language are both modes, then any text visible on a page is inherently multimodal."
    Yes, totally. Though Wysocki would argue that we need to make/ask/encourage students to be aware of the fact that even "The Word" is multimodal (new media?) in that it can be represented in many different ways--on screen, in a color pamphlet, on a page of printer paper, etc etc.


    Also, this: "I feel like there is more to say, but too much of it comes down to "But what do I do on Monday?" Wysocki's plans are great, but at this moment I feel my hands are tied by the need to teach research, academic voice, planning, revision and all those other things that go into the size 12 font, arranged so neatly on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper. Maybe if I could figure out how to teach rhetorical awareness, it would be easier to shoehorn into the syllabus."

    I also feel like, for me, it's not a shoehorn. Research and revision and academic voice can show themselves in videos, in presentations, in pamphlets and podcasts and... and... and... Devil's advocate, but... :)

    Thanks for the great post. Looking forward to your voice this semester. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete